Friday, July 13, 2007

Aideen and Damo livin' it up in Katherine


Well I left a rainy Sydney coughing and spluttering and flew up to Darwin. After a 4 hour stay in a hostel room wrecking some poor girl's head, I got the bus down to krazy Katherine. It was so nice to see Damo and Aideen and hang out with them in the strange town that is Katherine. There was mucho tea drinking and delicious meals going on along with a trip to Kakadu.

The first day I took the beast of a ute out for a spin to see some nice waterfalls. I managed to take a wrong turn and found myself off road with no map, no mobile reception and memories of that crap film Wolf Creek. But once I retraced my steps (30 odd kilometres down unsealed roads), I found myself at Edith Falls where I did a lovely walk accidentally wearing Damo's flip flops and with no suncream and not much water, marvellous.

The next day we headed off for a weekend in Kakadu where we camped under the stars. I can never really decide whether I like camping, but what with more room than you could shake a stick in the back of the ute, Aideen and Damo's best tefal frying pan and the good knife, it was pretty comfortable - glamorous camping I'd say. We saw some beautiful sunsets, crocodiles and some splendid rock art.

I was pretty sad saying goodbye to Damo and Aideen but sure I'll get a chance to see them sometime soon and go on a intrepid four wheel drive adventure in their beast.

No comments: